“To have seen Italy without having seen Sicily is to not have seen Italy at all, for Sicily is the clue to everything.” Goethe
Location: Mediterranean sea; straddling the cross roads of Western Europe, north Africa and the Middle East.
Governance Status: Italy
Population: 5,077,487 (2015)
Language: Italian, Sicilian.
GPS: 37.3979° N, 14.6588° E
Sicily in Literature:
On my to-read list:
- Midnight in Sicily by Peter Robb
Sicily in Film:
The Godfathers of course…..
- The Leopard (1963) directed by Luchino Visconti
- Malena (2000) directed by Giuseppe Tornatore
- Cinema Paradiso (1988) directed by Giuseppe Tornatore
A great documentary on the history of Sicily:
- Sicily: Wonder of the Mediterranean by Dr. Michael Scott
Any recommendations and/or reviews of books or films set on Sicily? I’d love to hear them.